Try the powerful ZimEye search:
Selected ZimEye searches:Abductions Lorcadia Tembo Morgan Tsvangirai Injuries Chiwenga ZANU PF army killings
Published: June 3, 2010
THE death toll from the Tuesday night crash involving a commuter omnibus and a Zimbabwe National Army bus has risen to 18 following the death of two more passengers.
This means only one passenger from the kombi that was travelling to Harare remains alive.
Traffic police spokesperson Inspector Tigere Chigome yesterday said all those aboard the army bus had been treated and discharged from Inkomo Barracks Hospital.
He said they had identified nine of the deceased.
The bodies are at Parirenyatwa Hospital mortuary. Sixteen people — including the driver and conductor — died on the spot when the kombi rammed into the bus at the 46,5km peg along the Harare-Chirundu Road. Preliminary investigations show the kombi driver attempted to overtake two vehicles at once and collided head-on with the bus.
Yesterday, Mashonaland West Governor and Resident Minister Faber Chidarikire visited the accident scene and extended his condolences to families of the deceased.
Governor Chidarikire said, “We are saddened by the loss of lives in the accidents. Drivers must exercise extreme caution on the roads to save lives.
“The accident comes barely a week after another kombi crash killed six people along the Harare-Bulawayo road,” he said.(The Herald)