Harare(ZimEye)Zimbabwe Broadcasting Holdings Chief Executive Officer Happison Muchechetere has branded female journalists who are complaining of having been sexually abused by senior managers as “prostitutes”.
Muchechetere ruled in a telephone interview with ZimEye that the allegations by ZBC female employees alleging to have been sexually abused were unfounded and malicious.
“…those ladies who are telling you those stories are prostitutes and they are here for that business. I do not care. If they were genuinely sexually abused they should have approached the Public Relations and Human Resources Departments that handle complaints before talking to the media. We have proper channels of dealing with such issues,” he said. “I am not interested in commenting on rumours. You can write that to your rumour-mongering publications, which want to disturb our digitalization programme,” said Muchechetere.
The ZBC chief recently barred female employees from wearing miniskirts, a move meant to reduce the risk of sexual abuse by their male counterparts.
Although Muchechetere appeared to be trying to protect his senior managers, sources within the station’s Human Resources Department said a board of enquiry had been set up to probe the allegations.
Tarzan Mandizvidza, News and Current Affairs Manager and O’Brian Rwafa( Reporters manager) were said to be some of the many managers under investigation by the broadcasting station’s Human Resources Department headed by Benania Shumba, over sex scandals.
Rwafa is accused of impregnating a student intern, while several complaints have also been raised against Mandizvidza who two years ago divorced his wife in order to co-habit with his then current affairs production assistant.
Last week the Federation of African Media Women Zimbabwe (FAMZ) called for the setting up of an independent commission of enquiry to investigate the alleged sex scandals at ZBC, saying the organisation which represents female media workers in the country, had received numerous reports of cases of sexual abuse at ZBC.
Meanwhile Zimbabwe Tourism Authority boss and former top ranking military officer, Karikoga Kaseke on Tuesday threatened a journalist with unspecified action before chasing him out of the press conference he was addressing for asking him what the country was doing to woo the British tourists back into the country.
Journalist John Chimunhu had to leave the press conference early as Kaseke had made it clear that he could pounce on him.
“I begin to question your level of education for asking that question, you cannot win a war against me simply because you are a journalist. If you start a war with me you will not win it for I will be the winner,” said the fuming Kaseke who also branded Chimunhu a ‘British’ journalist.
Chimunhu had asked why Britain, which contributed 48.5 percent of tourists coming to Zimbabwe, had been accorded only 27 of the 155 free tickets to the Shanyai tourism showcase. The specially invited buyers are expected to bring direct business to the country through firm bookings for the Christmas season while they are in Zimbabwe. ZTA chairman Shingi Munyeza said recently that despite the poor relations that existed before, Zimbabwe had to move forward and embrace the Europeans as they contributed significantly to the country’s tourism.
Kaseke (pictured above) is not new to verbally assaulting journalists as he early this year called a Standard Newspaper female reporter “a whore”after she asked him critical questions. (ZimEye, Zimbabwe)